A:I grew up in South Texas in the Town of Hebbronville. Hebbronville is a small town with population of approximately 5000 people. It is known as the Vaquero (Cowboy) Capitol of the United States.
Q:Remember your first time in the gym? Describe it...
A:I grew up playing sports but my very first time walking into a fitness center “gym” was in Edinburg, TX. I walked into Cornerstone Fitness Center with the intention of getting a membership however, the gym was in its pre sale stage and the manager ended up offering me a job which I accepted. So in reality I started working for the gym before I started working out at the gym.
Q:When exactly did you know you were ready to compete?
A:When I started training with weights, I didn’t do it with the intentions of competing but after attending my first bodybuilding and fitness competition, I knew the stage was waiting for me.
Q:Describe getting that pro card...
A:Earning my pro card was truly one of the most memorable experiences of my life. After placing 11th in my previous competition, I was not expecting to win the USA’s. I have always worked hard but in this sport not placing can really mess with your confidence so getting my pro card was not expected by me. I’ve always said that nothing good comes without sacrifice and Lord knows I worked really hard to get it.
Q:Detail your pre contest diet...
A:I normally eat clean year- round. I do have cheat meals when I know I can and only in moderation. My pre contest diet consists of high protein with a variety of sources from red meat, chicken, turkey, fish and protein shakes. My carbohydrate intake varies but I am a big fan of carbohydrates. Oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice, white rice and sweet potatoes are some of the carbohydrates I have. I do like fats but only with protein so I usually have fats and protein for my last two meals of the day. 6 meals are consumed per day every 2-3 hours. Whey Factor 1 Proplete, W Factor Bio-Active Protein, BCAA_GX, Glutavol 500-gr, and Crank Ultra are all my favorite supplements to take all from Pureline Nutrition. www.thepureline.com
- 1 cup Oatmeal with blueberries and raspberries
- 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with turkey and spinach
- W Factor Bio-Active Protein shake from Pure line Nutrition
- 6oz Salmon/6oz Flank Steak
- 1cup white rice
- 1cup Spinach/Kale mix
- 6oz Tilapia/Chicken
- 1 Sweet Potato or 1cup Brown rice
- 1 cup Asparagus/Zucchini
- 6oz Tilapia/Chicken
- spinach/kale with avocado and lemon
- Whey Factor 1 Proplete protein shake from Pureline Nutrition with 1 scoop almond butter
Q:What's your pre contest workout routine look like?
A:I train 6 days per week!
- Squats- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Leg Press- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Stiff Leg Deadlifts- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Leg Extension- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Leg Curl- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Reverse Lunges- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Alternating dumbbell curls- 4 sets 10-15
- Lying EZ-bar Triceps Extension-4 sets 10-15 reps
- Concentration Curls-3 sets 8-10 reps
- One arm dumbbell overhead extension- 3 sets 10-15 reps
- Hammer curls- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Dips-3 sets 10-15 reps
- Overhead cable curl- 3 sets 10-15 reps
- Overhead cable extension- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Deadlifts- 5 sets 10-15 reps
- Seated Cable Rows- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Wide Grip Pull Downs- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Pull-ups- 3 sets 10-12 reps
- Hyperextension- 3 sets 12-15 reps
- Machine Overhead Press- 4 sets 10-15
- Dumbbell Lateral raise- 4 sets 10-12 reps
- Lateral Raise- 4 sets 10-12 reps
- Overhead Military Press- 4 sets 10-12 reps
- Bent over rear deltoid raise- 3 sets 10-15 reps
- Barbell Glute Bridge- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Step up with Knee raise- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Good Mornings- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Single leg press- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Calves on the leg press- 4 sets 10-15 reps
- Abductor/Adductor machine- 3 sets 10-15 reps
- Machine calf raises- 4 sets 10-15 reps
Sunday: Rest day
Q:What is Rock Fitness?
A:In 2007 I became part owner of Rock Fitness Center which was known as Body Factory Fitness Club. I managed Body Factory from 2001- 2007. Rock Fitness Center serves as the largest full service fitness facility in Laredo, Texas with three locations one of which is an all women’s fitness club. I brought to Laredo, TX. The first fully equipped all service Women only Fitness Club. Presently Women of Rock Fitness Center still holds the title of not only a one of a kind in Laredo but also the largest all women fitness club in South Texas. Rock Fitness is proud to provide a spacious weight room / cardio room and elite amenities such as: Indoor Tanning, Child Care, Sauna, Steam Room, Indoor Heated Pool, Spinning, (Indoor Cycling) and group training (Zumba, Aqua Aerobics, Body Sculpt, and more.) This January we added Rock X Fit which is a cross training facility to offer athletes another option of training.
Q:What's next for you and your career?
A:This year will be my 10th year promoting for the National Physique Committee and my 2nd year judging for National Physique Committee in Texas. I currently promote NPC Battle on the Bay in Corpus Christi, Texas where I was awarded promoter of the year 2013. I hope to add CrossFit games to my show next year as well as IFBB Pro Bikini.
Q:Can you give us all of your social media handles?
A:My business website www.rock-fitness.com, my NPC show website www.npcbattleonthebay.com. I am currently on fb as Bernadette Galvan IFBB Pro, Rock Fitness Center, Rock X Fit and NPC Battle On the Bay, Instagram as rockfit , rockxfit, rockfitnesslaredo and twitter @bgalvanROCK…
Interview done by Elliot Rivera for healtHaven.com